Shasta Public Libraries
The Shasta Public Library system dates all the way back to 1903 and is currently comprised of three libraries, Anderson, Burney and Redding.
The Anderson Library offers a full range of library services and products with a hometown feel.
The Burney Library opened in 1949, the first of the Shasta County Library Branches. This location serves the entire Intermountain area from Montgomery Creek / Round Mountain to Hat Creek / Oak Run and east to Fall River / McArthur.
The Redding Library opened to the public on March 3, 2007. The brand new 55,000SF state-of-the-art facility (funded in part by a state library construction bond grant and matched with local fund raising) is the culmination of the work of many people over many years. Redding is truly a miracle library that has returned from closure of the entire system in the 1980's, minimal operating hours in the 1990's, to a new facility today: reborn and inspired to serve a community seeking learning, literacy, and leisure reading.
The local governments reorganized the governance of the library system and committed to a stable funding base. The library support groups, service organizations and individuals provide ongoing assistance as well. Almost 20,000 hours of service are donated by a committed corps of library volunteers. The library is the centerpiece of educational and cultural energy in the community with more than 50,000 visits monthly, 1,000 new library cards issued each month, and meeting rooms booked full.
The Citizens Advisory Committee meets regularly the first Wednesday of each month at 3:30 p.m. in the Community Room at the Redding Library. The Citizens Advisory Committee was established to carry out the directives of the Library Board of Trustees and act in an advisory capacity to the Board of Trustees in all matters pertaining to the administration, operation, development, improvement, and maintenance of the Redding Municipal Library.