Shawn Avery, Coordinator of Volunteers
Floor City Hall
Hours of Operation:
Cypress Avenue Monday
- Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The City of Redding volunteer program was started in 1988. For the first four years, volunteers were placed only with the Redding Police Department. The program went "citywide" in 1992. Volunteers with valuable skills, knowledge or interests assist paid staff in completing or maintaining projects or programs. The Volunteer Services Division exists as a clearing house for citizen participation in City projects. It provides a centralized liaison between volunteers and staff, ensuring uniform and consistent policy for recruiting, pre-screening, and placing volunteers. The Division provides on-going training for volunteers to enhance their knowledge of City government and law enforcement. It maintains all records and matches volunteers to City-related jobs and provides information on ways volunteers can serve the City and community.
There are numerous Departments that utilize the many talents of volunteers from the community. Volunteer duties range from outdoor activities to daily clerical duties. The following Departments have volunteer opportunities:
Information Desk: Volunteers are used to provide information to the general public Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. These volunteers ensure that visitors and citizens conducting business at City Hall are provided with accurate information and proper directions to which department they are seeking. Our volunteers at the information desk help hundreds of citizens each week. Each volunteer at the information signs up to work the morning or afternoon shift.
Community Services : The Community Services Department has many short and long term volunteer opportunities. Whether you like to volunteer in the office or prefer to assist in large events such as public art shows or park projects, the Community Services Department is a great way to get involved in the Redding community.
1. Adult Mentors - Youth Action Council
The YAC has several projects they plan to accomplish this year. We need additional adult support to work on project specific committees. Currently, we need an adult to assist a YAC committee working to plan a (video) gaming event. Event logistics need to be defined and planned. Funding for event expenses is available. Other opportunities include the youth leadership conference, web site development, and teen music scene events. Hours are flexible, typically evening and weekend hours.
We would like to update our catalog of photos of both participant and facilities for use on the web page and print materials. Hours varied and flexible. Must be able to shoot in digital high resolution.
3. Phone Survey
This person would call on current and past program participants to gauge their level of satisfaction with a program/event. A script would be prepared for them to read and note the responses. 2-4 hours per week during the work day. Location: Recreation Office
4. Art Hangers and Greeters
Volunteers needed to assist visiting artists with hanging their work on the walls. The same or different volunteers are needed to greet guests at the evening reception, serve refreshments, assist with set-up and clean-up. Receptions and art hanging are held three times per year in the early evening. Some training is required. We want someone willing to make a commitment of at least one year.
5. Special Event staff
Volunteers are needed at regularly scheduled special events such as Grasshopper Olympics, Spooky Lagoon, Freedom Festival, Walk this Way to Turtle Bay (Healthy Shasta event), Turkey Trot and others. Assignments vary.
Convention Center and Visitor's Bureau: Numerous volunteers are used throughout the year at the Convention Center as ushers, ticket takers and customer service representatives during events and shows. Volunteers enjoy the many shows while volunteering for the City of Redding.
Housing: The Housing Division provides many needed services to the community. Volunteers aid in several duties such as assisting with large mailings and other assignments.
Parks and Recreation: Redding has many beautiful parks and recreational activities. Several group projects and ongoing recreation opportunities exist in our area.
Personnel and Risk Management: The Personnel Department uses multiple volunteers for clerical duties such as filing, data entry, labeling large mailings, shredding, answering phones and numerous other assignments.
Planning and Building: Volunteers assist the Building and Planning Departments in areas of Code Enforcement, filing and ongoing preparatory work for microfilming.
We currently need assistance with the following tasks and projects:
1. Abandoned Vehicle Abatement - data entry, filing.
2. Court Liaison - case preparation, processing traffic citations
3. Warrants - preparing notice letters to wanted individuals, records, research
4. Ride Along Program - provides assistance in scheduling of ride-alongs, maintaining ride along files.
5. Vehicles - assists in inspecting the vehicles for defects, needed service, and transports vehicles to and from the shop
6. Traffic Citations - assists in completing amendments to citations, separates citation copies and attaches necessary teletypes in preparation for submitting to court.
7. Records - compile statistics, assists in data entry, filing and preparing reports for microfilming
8. Crime Analysis - data entry, crime mapping, preparing parolee tracking records
9. Public Relations - conduct departmental tours for interested community groups, work at information booths in the Mall or annual County Fair.
10. Crime Prevention - pin-mapping crimes, maintenance of Neighborhood Watch Groups files.
11. Investigations - missing persons follow-up, maintenance of gang file records, maintenance of financial crimes information, pawned property follow-up, maintaining suspect mug shots.
12. Assisting the general public when receiving fingerprinting at the Police Department.